Friday, February 1, 2013

What is Your Passion?



What is your passion? This is a question that we get asked a lot. Some people are lucky to find what they like early in life and some are still looking for the answer. Life gets busy and sometimes it’s hard to slow down and take a moment to think about what we really want in life. This question always reminds me of a story from a professor about his career story.

When I was taking college courses as a high school student, one of the professors came to my class and talked about his career. A jolly old man that loves education and teaching. He switched career at the age of 40, realizing that he doesn't love what he was doing. Before becoming a professor, he was an experienced buyer and made lots of money. But he wasn't motivated and happy. Every day, he doesn't want to wake up for his job. It's not something he looks forward to in the morning. So he decided to do something about his life and went back to school. He discovered his love for teaching and sharing knowledge with others. I was captivated by his story and it's one that I'll remember forever. His story encouraged us to look for our passions and do what we really want to do. Life is short and we spend half of our time working, why not spend time doing something we love?

To find our passions, we need to know what does passion mean to us.
My definition of passion is:
  • What makes you happy
  • What motivates you
  • What satisfies you
  • What you would do for free
  • What you enjoy doing so much that you don’t even realize time passes by
What is your definition of passion? Do you know what your passion is?
Take some time to think about it and look for it :)

4 comments:

  1. I am still in the search of this journey. Finding and asking myself what is it that I really want myself to be part of? Is it teaching, where I can be around with students who are willingly to learn English.

    You're right! Money only fulfills my needs and satisfied my wants, but I don't think anyone in this world would want to be in your professor's shoe, however the story you shared has a moral to it. The moral teaches us to find our voice and not to hesitate to do a job that makes us miserable everyday. We don't know what will happen to us or even to the world the following day, so it's healthier to live the way we choose and form the way we want. It's time to speak up and change all the unhappiness of our lives.

    I want to say 'Thank You' for waking me up to the light and let us think what we are passionate about , and follow our dreams then one day turning it into reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, thanks for your thoughtful response. I am glad it helps you to take a moment to think about life.

      Delete
  2. Very few know what they are truly like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes time and experiences to look for what they like. Those who know what they truly like are really lucky.

      Delete