Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Prosperity Cake

Chinese New Year is coming up this weekend. My mom is already preparing for the holiday. Got a bunch of new year goodies and also started to make prosperity cakes, also known as "fa gao" in Chinese.  It's basically steamed sponge cake and it's sweet. Like the name suggested, the prosperity cake is a good luck symbol.  The muffin like prosperity cake has an open top similar to a flower, the more open the top is means more luck and good fortune.

Below are my mom's beautiful work :




2 comments:

  1. Mom isn't making FA Gao this year due to her chance of diabetes. Give me two so Kevin and I can have one each.... just kidding. I will some when I visit Sam and the other uncles and aunties.... they always make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom always make it for praying. I only eat the tiny ones, pretty hard to finish the big ones.

      Delete